Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Fabulous Las Vegas Zoo

While running important errands-finding the closest beauty supply store, I got lost. It was the best thing that happened to me sanity wise. I saw a zoo sign. I didn't know there was a zoo here?!  I was missing a day at a St Louis sight, so I followed the sign. 10 miles later and down off the "Old Strip" There it was. I parked the car in the front row spot, got Maryn out, and entered into a place that was not the St Louis zoo! We were welcomed by turtles and flamingos (Maryn loved it) and a ridiculous entrance fee. I'm a spoiled brat..I admit it. I haven't had to pay a zoo entrance fee in five years. So, instead of paying 15 bucks for Myself and Maryn, and knowing we will be back a few days later with Mason, I bought a year pass. The lady at the counter was surprised at my purchase and quickly got me signed up. Going though the tiny gate I realized my purchase was totally worth it! No one was there except the zoo keepers, and the people cleaning up...who I assume are doing community service. The downside, Dirt walks and pigeons everywhere. I got the feeling I should not touch anything, stay calm and keep Maryn close.
This is the the Fabulous Las Vegas Zoo.

 The raven that says "Hello". Mason is totally into Sleeping Beauty and couldn't keep his eye's off Maleficent's pet.
 
 Wallaby--The cousin to the Kangaroo

River otters


"Sweetness" the alligator.  Did you know that an alligator can only digest food at certain temperatures,  We were there for her feeding, and Maryn loved it. there was a glass that  was knee high that kids could see her swim. It was creepy to see her come out of the sun when the zoo keeper said her name. She knew it was feeding time.

I read this sign and thought why are these apes here??? I think the apes were thinking the same thing too. It was creepy (again) to walk around the cage and have them watch you. I felt I was intruding and I was going to get pounced.



 The Birds of Prey

Mason is not a fan of what you are about to see. He is working on understanding they are out of their cages because they wont hurt anyone...
The Peacock, Chicken's with feathers on their feet, and pigeons.



The saddest thing that was at the zoo were all the memorial signs for lions and tiger that had died. I'm not sure how they died, but it makes you think why can't a city who is all about entertainment put some money into a zoo. They could throw a few slot machines by the goats?? okay maybe not.
Even though at first I was freaked out and paranoid about this place it has become our little jewel in sin city. 






2 comments:

Bryan and Brianna said...

First off, I think it's totally awesome that Mason is into Sleeping Beauty, and that you allow that. (Long story behind that).. I'm glad you found a Zoo though! I totally love zoo's, so that's awesome you have one there, and that you have somewhere to hang out and won't have to worry about everything that you do on the strip. :)

angerine said...

awwww, I TOTALLY miss the St. Louis zoo too!
And I agree about that creepy ape. I don't know if I've ever had one make eye contact like that. That 2nd picture he looks like he is staring into your soul. Yikes.